Nowadays, technology has improved so much that its impacts have also shown some development in the manufacturing of a generator. Generators nowadays come with overload protection as well as low oil shutdown. One of the major disadvantages of having a generator can be how noisy it is. Although there are various versions of generators available in the market that are noiseless. Not every person is financially strong enough to be able to buy noiseless generator. It can happen to any generator, no matter how much the price. Therefore, here is all about damage control in a generator, where we will share with you some of the basic methods about How To Quiet A Generator?
How To Quiet A Generator?
Before we even begin with learning how to silence a generator, let’s start with understanding why do generators make so much noise? The reason behind this lies in the technology used to manufacture the generator. Inverter Technology is all about the usage of special magnets and advanced electronic circuitry to generate power. Such generators are very noiseless because of the mufflers that come along with the engine design of the generator. Not only that, but they also provide you with steady power that is clean and safe to use. A Portable generator is more compact in size and reliable compared to the large size traditional generator. But not every design is flawless, and so is the case inverter generator. In terms of power output, the inverter generator is not as powerful as a large size conventional generator.
1. The positioning of the exhaust pipe
It is one of the major ways in which you can easily silence your generator. horizontal pipes tend to move the sound waves towards you instead of up into the air. If you change the direction of this exhaust pipe and place them vertically, this will make the sound waves move upwards instead of towards you. Although we won’t say that the noise will become completely silenced, it will surely reduce it up to some extent. On the off chance that you are reluctant to place the pipe vertically, make sure that you at least direct it away from your home.
2. Using a sound deflector
It is one of the most genius and common ways of reducing the sound produced by your generator. The best part of using this method is that it comes very cheap and can be done using materials and things lying around. In this method, you have to put up a barrier around your generator, or between your generator and your house. This barrier will help in containing the noise produced by the generator or at least deflecting it. Like the previous method, this method too won’t completely silence your generator, but it will reduce the noise up to a minimal extent, making it bearable for human ears.
3. Using a muffler
A muffler is usually placed in the opening of the exhaust pipe of your car or bike to reduce the sound produced by up to some extent. All the costly generators come with a muffler along with. Basic cheap generators lack a muffler attached to it. If you want a quick and easy solution, you can choose to use the muffler of your bike or car and attach it to the generator’s exhaust pipe. I won’t guarantee the extent of reduction in noise that a bike muffler will have in your generator. Still, if you want satisfactory results, my advice to you would be to buy a good quality muffler and use it in your generator. It will not only lower the noise level but will also reduce the pitch of the sound produced by the generator.
How To Make A Noisy Generator Quiet For Camping
The Quiet generator is a must while you are camping can be a very different scenario if you compare it to silencing a generator at home. At home, you have the means and devices to reduce the sound produced by the generator, but during camping, you are restricted by limited resources. Therefore in this segment, we will share with you some of the ways in which you can silence a generator while camping.
1. It is one of the most basic techniques of making your generator quiet while camping. It will involve carrying rubber legs along with you and your generator. If you have no idea what a rubber leg is, let me explain it to you. It is a kind of accessory on which you place your furniture to avoid from slipping and moving from the position. These rubber legs act as a soundproof to your generator if you place it under it.
2. Another way of avoiding the noise caused by your generator can be to place it far from your camp area. This method is not reducing the sound, but more of an aid in avoiding it. It is obvious that if you please the generator too close to your camp, it surely is going to make a lot of noise, but if you place it for the noise will be decreased.
3. If you are a person who is frequent to go camping, then you need to make sure that you keep your priorities right. Opting for a small generator that is suitable enough for your camping will be the best choice that you can make. It has been proven that small generators tend to make less noise.
4. Another important point to consider is the type of ground that you are placing your generator on. Make sure then the ground on which you have placed your generator is not shaky. Shaky grounds can cause vibrations when the generator is operating, and that will act as an amplifier and enhance the noise produced by the generator.
5. This technique is common in silencing your generator both at home as well as camping. You can direct the exhaust pipe direction away from your camping area so that the noise will be redirected.
Tips To Making Generators Quieter
Some of the major tips and tricks in making a generator quieter are:
1. Always keep a muffler on hand, like the one used in your bike and car. You can use this muffler anytime to silence the generator.
2. It is a water trick. Cut a long hose and attach its mouth to the exhaust pipe of the generator. Make sure that it is sealed tight. Use duct tapes if needed. Now put the other end of the hose inside a bucket filled with water. It acts as an insulator to noise and will surely reduce the noise level caused by the generator to a large extent.